UConn medical, dental, pharmacy and biomedical research students will be volunteering their time for a day of service on Martin Luther King Day, Monday Jan. 21, at various locations throughout the state.
In honor of King’s legacy, the students will join thousands of Americans across the country who will engage in volunteer service activities, helping their neighbors and their communities.
More than 190 students will be involved with numerous activities including teaching preschool students the importance of hand hygiene, talking to high school students about pursuing a career in medicine, taking blood pressure screenings on older adults, and presenting mini-workshops on topics such as diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension.
The students will be at the following locations at various times during the day:
· YWCA, 22 Glen St., New Britain
· YWCA, 300 Standwood Drive, New Britain
· St. Elizabeth House, 118 Main St., Hartford
· YMCA, 50 High St., New Britain
· The Retreat, 90 Retreat Ave., Hartford
· Three Angels Adventist Community Service Food Pantry, 500 Woodland St., Hartford
· House of Bread, 1453 Main St., Hartford
· North End Senior Center, 80 Coventry St., Hartford
· Atwater Senior Center, 26 Atwater St., New Haven
· United Community and Family Services, 47 Town St., Norwich
· Covenant Soup Kitchen, 220 Valley St., Willimantic
· Generations, 35 Clark St., Hartford