A number of local businesses are saluting veterans, military service men and women, and their families this Veterans Day by offering local discounts, specials and promotions. Here's a guide to specials in Farmington and the area.
Two important notes:
- Most companies require some form of military ID. These include: a Military ID Card (active/reserve/retired), Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), Drivers License with Veterans Designation, a photograph in uniform, you in uniform (if your service permits), Veterans Organization Card (e.g., American Legion and VFW), DD214, discharge paperwork, or other form of identification. Other restaurants and companies may go by the honor system.
- Always call ahead to verify locations, times, and participation. Many of the listed companies are franchises and may have different policies. We will do our best to keep this page updated as we find new info.
- Applebee’s—free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Unfortunately the closest Applebee's is in Manchester. Last year, Applebee’s served more than 1 million free meals to military veterans and active servicemembers. Applebee’s is again offering a free meal to military veterans and active-duty service members on Veterans Day, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. There will be seven entrées to choose from, beverage and gratuity not included. Military ID or proof of service required.
- Friendly's—free breakfast, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012: Located at 1835 Farmington Ave., Unionville. All active military and veterans that present military ID or honorable discharge card will receive a free Big Two Do Breakfast and coffee during breakfast hours only. Applicable on dine-in only until 11 a.m.
- Chili’s—free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Located at 530 Bushy Hill Rd. in Simsbury, Chili’s is offering all military veterans past and present their choice of one of seven meals. This offer is available from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on November 11, 2012 at participating Chili’s in the U.S. only. Dine-in from limited menu only; beverages and gratuity not included. Veterans and active duty military simply show proof of military service. Visit their website to find locations.
- Denny’s—free pancakes, Monday, Nov. 12 2012: The closest Denny's is located at 621 Queen St. in Southington. Free all-you-can-eat pancakes from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12 for all active, retirees, and veterans with a valid military ID or proof of military service. Offer available in every Denny’s nationwide.
- Outback Steakhouse—free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes until Nov. 11, 2012: Located at 170 Hale Rd. in Manchester. Outback Steakhouse is honoring America’s military veterans by offering active duty military and veterans a free Bloomin’ Onion and a Coca-Cola product during the week leading up to Veteran’s Day. This offer is available to Military Personnel with ID.
- Subway—free Six-Inch Sub, Nov. 11, 2012: Located at 1426 Farmington Ave., Farmington. Select SUBWAY® Restaurants will offer a FREE six inch sub or flatbread to military veterans on Veterans Day. This offer is valid only on November 11, 2012 at participating local SUBWAY® restaurants, Military ID or proof of service required. Note: SUBWAY® Restaurants are franchises, so this offer may not be available everywhere. Please call ahead for participation and times.
- Texas Roadhouse—free lunch, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012: Located at 21 Redstone Rd. in Manchester. Every Texas Roadhouse location across the country will participate in the free lunch event to honor the men and women of our armed forces. Choose from one of 10 free meals, plus sides and a drink. Offer good for All veterans – including all active, retired or former U.S. military. ID Required.
- T.G.I. Friday’s—free lunch, Monday, Nov. 12, 2012: Valid for all US Military personnel and veterans. Must wear uniform (if permitted by your service) or present military ID or other proof of service. Only valid at participating locations for anyone with an old or current military ID.
- The Olive Garden—free entrée, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Located at 1441 New Britain Ave. in West Hartford. Offer good for veterans and active duty military, on Sunday, November 11 during regular business hours. Chose from a special menu; all entrées inlcude freshly baked garlic sticks and choice of soup or salad. Offer good in US and Canada, proof of service required.
- 7-Eleven—free Slurpee, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Located at 70 South Main St., Unionville. Available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Offer good to all current and former military members. ID or proof of service required.
- Home Depot Military Discount: The Home Depot(R), located at 503 New Park Ave. in West Hartford is offering all active duty personnel, reservists, retired military, veterans and their families a 10 percent discount off their purchases in honor of Veteran’s Day. The offer is valid on purchases of up to $2,000 for a maximum of $200 and is available at The Home Depot stores, The Home Depot Design Center locations, Yardbirds and EXPO Design Center(R) locations. The 10% military discount is available everyday for active duty and retirees, but not all veterans. Home Depot makes this offer available to all veterans on most military holidays.
- Lowe’s Military Discount: Located at 325 Cottage Grove Rd. in Bloomfield Lowe’s Companies, Inc. will offer all active, reserve, honorably discharged, retired military personnel and their immediate family members a 10 percent discount on in-store U.S. purchases made during the Veterans Day holiday. The discount is available Nov. 7 – Nov. 11. The discount is available on in-stock and special order purchases up to $5,000. To qualify, individuals must present a valid military ID or other proof of service. Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com, previous sales, and purchases of services or gift cards. Like Home Depot, Lowes offers this discount daily to active duty military members, but not to veterans. However, they extend the offer to military veterans on military holidays. You can also find exclusive discounts at Lowe’s.com.
- Old Navy: Located at 110 Albany Tpke. in Canton. Every Monday, including November 12, active and veteran military personnel with ID cards are granted 10 percent off their purchases.
- Big Lots: Located at 1470 Pleasant Valley Rd. in Manchester. Veterans, active duty, retired and reserve military personnel and their immediate family members with valid ID get a 10 percent discount on purchases.
- Build-A-Bear Workshop: To celebrate Veterans Day, the store is offering 20 percent off a purchase when guests present a valid military ID.
- Amazon.com—free MP3 album download “Veterans Day Honor”: Available at Amazon on Veterans Day. Download the album (album will be full price again starting Nov. 12).
- Sports Authority— Located at 1600 S East Rd. in Farmington. 15 percent off all purchases: All Veterans and Military personnel please stop by your local Sports Authority store to receive 15 percent off your entire purchase on Nov. 11, 2012. Please show proper identification or proof of service at check-out to receive this special offer.
- Veterans Memorial Rink, 56 Buena Vista Road, West Hartford. Veterans Day Public Ice Skating Session, Nov. 11, 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. Join us as we pay tribute to America’s heroes! All are welcome to enjoy this special session. Free admission and skate rental for all veterans and active duty personnel and their immediate families! (Please present military id to cashier.) The event features door prizes, bake sale, and fun! Fill a Skate! 100% of donations will be sent to the 143rd Military Police Unit based in West Hartford. The unit has recently deployed to Afghanistan and the funds will go to support programs for the soldiers and their families. Even if you don’t plan to skate, please consider dropping of a few items or making a monetary donation! Items needed include toothpaste, tooth brushes, lip balm, deodorant, soap, shampoo, hand warmers, Q-Tips, hard candy (no chocolate), gum, playing cards, magazines (new or recent), socks, pens, and note pads. For more information, call the Veterans Memorial Ice Skating Rink at 860-521-1573 or visit www.skatevmsr.com
- All national parks, forests and monuments offer free addmission to all on Veterans Day. Go and Enjoy the scenery!