.

Vibert Brothers Saved Woman's Life

Firefighters pulled 60-year-old woman from fire at Grandview on Wednesday.

Update:

It was brothers Michael and Patrick Vibert who pulled a Grandview Drive woman from her burning apartment Wednesday, saving her life, according to a press release from the fire department.

Volunteer Firefighter Lieutenant Patrick Vibert and his brother Michael, an off-duty career firefighter for the Town of Farmington, were driving past the apartments on Route 4 when they heard a dispatcher relay the 911 call information.

The brothers were the first on the scene and called in to report conditions. As fire broke out of the kitchen window, Michael used a trailer hitch receiver to smash a window and gain entry to the stairwell, where they found the victim.

Michael carried her down the stairs and the two brought her outside, where Michael provided emergency medical care.

"The Town of Farmington is lucky to be able to list Michael and Patrick Vibert among our firefighters," said Mary-Ellen Harper, director of the town's Fire and Rescue Services. "Through all of their years of service, both Mike and Pat have always been active, contributing members of the Fire Department. Both fire fighters consistently go above and beyond the call of duty, whether its responding to fire calls, running the Fire Cadet Program, or working on the Fire Department's trucks and equipment.

"The Viberts have a reputation for being the kind of people that would do anything for anyone, and they proved this on Wednesday when, without hesitation, they chose to enter a burning building and save the life of a complete stranger," Harper said.

Their father Tim is the Chief of the Farmington Volunteer Fire Department and among those in town proud of their heroism. 

“I am very proud of what they did,” Chief Vibert said. “They have been able to learn a lot from their years of hanging around the firehouse and it all paid off yesterday.  All of their hard worked help make a difference.”

Original story:

A 60-year-old woman was taken to Hartford Hospital Wednesday after she was burned in a fire at her home. The woman, who lives at 47 Grandview Drive, told responders the fire started on the stove before it spread in her second-floor apartment.

The woman called 911 to report the fire, then called back to urge responders to come quickly, Farmington Police Lt. Marshall Porter said.

Jeff Hogan, Farmington Fire Assistant Chief took command of the scene upon arrival.

"One of our fire officers and another firefighter were first on the scene and they reported heavy smoke and fire," Hogan said. "The fire officer and firefighter forced entry to the apartment through a side door, went up and grabbed the woman from the second floor, extinguishing her and rendering aid."

Firefighters from Tunxis Hose, Farmington and East Farms Fire Departments provided assistance in extinguishing the fire.

The woman was taken by ambulance to Hartford Hospital with extensive burns.

Officials evacuated the entire building but no one else seems to have been involved in the fire. Firefighters requested CL&P shut off power to the building and residents will be staying at the Centennial Inn through the night, Hogan said.

"We were pretty lucky," Hogan said. "We got a quick hit on the fire before it extended into the other apartments."

Fire Marshal Mike Gulino is investigating the incident.

Randy Wallace September 09, 2011 at 12:22 PM
Apparently, Patrick and Michael Vibert (brothers) are our local firefighter heroes. Please read the article via link from the Hartford Courant. Farmington should be very proud of these two fine men who saved this woman! Congratulations to Patrick and Michael - great job! http://www.courant.com/community/farmington/hc-farmington-firefighters-rescue-0909-20110908,0,1099928.story
Jane Paquet September 09, 2011 at 05:11 PM
Farmington is very lucky to have the entire Vibert family!
Camie Vibert September 09, 2011 at 08:42 PM
So proud of you both Michael and Pat!! Your Aunt for South Carolina is beaming with PRIDE!! Love you both!!
anne pannone September 10, 2011 at 06:15 PM
How appropriate,as we honor the memories of the thousands who lost their lives during the Sept 11th attacks 10 years ago, including the fearless first responder firefighters, that we have Patrick and Michael Vibert and the members of the firefighting departments to remind all of us of the bravery of the men and women who are "running in while everyone else is running out..."Thank you.
donna September 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM
So proud to have you both in our community!!! You both set a wonderful example for our children. Stay safe!!! Donna Conway

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »