Yena Kang, a student at Farmington High School won third place in the vocal competition at the Musical Club of Hartford's 2012 Scholarship competition.
Soprano Yena Kang is a senior at Farmington High School and student of Leslie Imse. Yena is Vice President of the Tri-M National Music Honor Society and President of her choir at her school and has been selected for All-State Choir, All-Eastern Choir and Northern Region Choir.
Also an accomplished cellist, Yena has been a finalist for the Hartford Symphony Orchestra Concerto Competition and has been selected for the NAfME and MENC All-National Orchestras, CMEA All-State Orchestra and Northern Region Orchestra. She currently plays as Assistant Principal in the Connecticut Youth Symphony and has participated in summer music programs at Luzerne Music Center and Music Adventure in Italy. At the Winners Concert Yena will sing Apres un reve by Gabriel Faure and Per la Gloria d’adorarvi by Giovanni Bononcini.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd scholarship prize winners in the Piano, Strings, Voice and Winds Divisions will perform in a free concert on January 20, 2013, 2 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 2080 Boulevard, West Hartford. Come and hear this new generation of classical musicians!
The Musical Club of Hartford, Inc., is a non-profit Connecticut organization celebrating its 122nd anniversary this year. The club sponsors the following activities:
- Professional guest artists perform two major concerts each year.
- Special guests and members present exploratory lectures and demonstrations.
- The club sponsors annual scholarship competitions for Connecticut high school music students in piano, strings, winds and voice. The winners present a concert a couple of weeks after the competition, to which the public is invited..
- Scholarships are also awarded to college-level advanced piano students, through the Evelyn Bonar Storrs Scholarship Fund. The "Storrs Scholars" present a stunning piano recital each spring.
- The Musical Club gives financial support to statewide community music organizations.