CT Senator Dick “I served in Vietnam” Blumenthal is quoted as saying on CNN last Tuesday evening, that “he thinks the United States should launch an airstrike that is targeted to high-value military assets”. In case you were not paying attention, those “high-value” military assets belong to the government of the Syrian Arab Republic,
- a country currently engaged in a brutal civil war
- a country we are most certainly NOT AT WAR with but will be if we strike
- a country in which These United States have almost no direct strategic interest [possible impact on allies notwithstanding], and
- a country currently allied with the Islamic Republic of Iran, Hezbollah [the party of Allah], the Russian Federation, and the Peoples Republic of China
But not all wars are bad.
Under President BHO it appears that without a national discussion or Congressional approval, the administration has adopted the Doctrine of the Responsibility to Protect [R2P] as a pillar of the Foreign Policy of These United States. Flashback time, recall that Samantha Power the current Ambassador to the United Nations [and wife of Cass Sunstein former Obama Administration Regulatory Affairs Czar and member of the newly formed NSA oversight pane] was a key player in the development of the doctrine of R2P and valued advisor to BHO on the subject of international human rights and genocide. She is a very interesting person and her writings are critical to understanding BHO’s foreign policy.
A brief digression.
In case you have not been paying close attention lately to US foreign policy, R2P is the latest attempt by the Collectivists at the UN and Progressives in the Obama Administration to assert that the international community [in the form of the UN in general and the Security Council in particular] has precedence over national sovereignty. Established in 2005, R2P attempts to create a new and unprecedented norm, or set of principles, based on the UN’s claim that national sovereignty is not a right but a responsibility. Therefore if a sovereign nation does not “live up” to its responsibilities as defined by the UN, then the UN can violate that nation’s sovereignty and at the UN’s sole discretion force the offending nation to do what the UN has determined it should be doing.
The UN attempts to make this new principle more palatable by limiting its initial application to preventing and halting four crimes [and possibly some unintended or not yet noted side effects]:
- genocide [but not the murder millions of unborn babies each year both under the individual’s “right to choose” or the state’s right to limit population growth] ,
- war crimes [anytime anyone kills someone or breaks something that the UN didn't want killed or broken]
- crimes against humanity [just about anything the Collectivists want to say it is], and
- ethnic cleansing [for example the forced ghettoization of poor people of color or the failure to have quota based diversity in any neighborhood]
But I have digressed far afield from the intent of my post. Back to the Senator Dick “I served in Vietnam” Blumenthal and war with the Syrian Arab Republic. I think it is fair to say that if our country is against the Syrian Arab Republic, we are “FOR” the “Syrian Opposition”. Anything that we do that weakens the Syrian Arab Republic’s government strengthens the opposition, a very short list of the opposition members follows:
- Muslim Brotherhood
- al-Tawhid Brigade, according to Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram, the brigade had ties with the Muslim Brotherhood
- Liwaa al-Umma, with ex Libyan fighters from the Tripoli Brigade who were trained in urban warfare by Qatari special forces in the Nafusa mountains
- Al-Nusra Front (ANF), an Al-Qaeda associate operating in Syria
- National Coordination Committee for the Forces of Democratic Change, leftist friendly with the PRC, and
- a long list of other Jihadist and Islamic state advocates.
I listed dozens of reasons to vote against Dick “I served in Vietnam” Blumenthal during the election, not the least of which was the fact that he is a pathological liar with a probable Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I still assert that CT deserves better.
Why is he in favor of war with The Syrian Arab Republic? Is it because he's a bully and likes to pick on people, companies, nations that can't fight back? Is it because he supports the UN’s R2P? Because he supports the Muslim Brotherhood? The Al-Nusra Front? Because he thinks that 200 or so Tomahawks [@ $1.4 M a pop] will “punish” Bashar Hafez al-Assad for violating international norms. Isn't it Progressive Dogma that the only proper role of the American Military to punish internal law breakers? But funny how Progressive Collectivist are so selective in their application of R2P. Dick can you say Coptic Christians, South Sudanese Roman Catholics or Chinese Evangelicals without bursting into flames [see a pattern yet]? Also it appears that you can have a civil war and kill 100s of thousands of your own citizens, just don't use gas [conspiracy theorist and DHS take note of the “international” precedence]? Or is it because BHO is a gutless commander in chief more interested in the fundamental transformation of America [is this where I mention the Nobel Peace Prize?] than he is in the safeguarding of our strategic interests.
Arab Socialist Ba'ath Party members killing Jihadis [of any stripe] or Shia Jihadis [followers of Ali who believe that he was Muhammad's - peace be upon him - proper successor in the Caliphate] killing apostate Alawites, neither weakens These United States. We have no strategic interest in the killings. But no, in the name of international norms, lets all hold hands, sing L'Internationale, and toss a few hundred Tomahawks! Under Progressive Democrates and Republicans, America is again the policeman [oops person] of the world.
Benjamin Franklin was right as was the Fugio Cent “MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS” America! And Dick “I served in Vietnam” Blumenthal should be turned out of office at the next election if for no other reason than he wants to go to war with the Syrian Arab Republic!